[time-nuts] Some More questions

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Thu Jan 19 15:39:23 UTC 2006

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <43CFA454.1080906 at erols.com>, Chuck Harris writes:

>> But that brings us back full circle:  How do you do an exceptional
>> job of controlling the temperature of a crystal that was designed
>> to operate at 25C?
>
> You put it inside a solid block of copper or aluminium.
 >
 > You put that block inside a small enclosure where you try to hold
 > the temperature constantly at 25C.

That is obvious, and is what is done with conventional double ovens,
and it is certainly what would be done with a double oven that has a
Peltier device incorporated to allow the crystal to run at 25C.

>> These
>> instruments already have conventional double ovens around their
>> sensitive bits.
>
> Far from always in the metrology business.  You can't put your
> kilogram artifact in a double oven for instance.

True, but surely you don't think he was talking about kilogram
artifacts?  Last I heard, their weight was invariant with temp.

As I recall, he was talking about electronic standards for time,
frequency, and voltage.

-Chuck