[time-nuts] HP 3325B Function Generator and GPSbased frequencycontrol

Greg Burnett gbus at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 11 16:18:15 UTC 2006

Across the life-span of the HP 3325A, the following changes were
incorporated:

1. They removed the sockets for power supply regulator transistors (instead
soldering the leads right to the board) for better reliability.

2. They re-designed the power supply board layout in order to put more space
between a "hot" AC mains trace and a grounded mounting screw (safety issue).

3. They changed the ribbon cables' connectors from "tinned" to gold-plated
for better reliability. (They changed the associated ribbon cables for same
reason.)

4. They replaced the old high-profile yellow attenuator relays with the
low-profile black Omron relays -- this was a big improvement in attenuator
reliability.

5. They redesigned the controller/HPIB board. (Both old and new boards
worked equally well, but the new board was more simple, with less number of
IC's, as I remember.)

Back in the eighties and nineties, whenever a 3325A came to HP for any
repair, items 1 through 3 (above) were routinely updated (e.g., new power
supply board, new ribbon cables & connectors, etc. were installed). Also,
many times the old attenuator board was replaced with the new one. All
together, many older 3325A's therefore have the newer features inside.

By the time the 3325B was introduced, all the above features were included
in production, and the controller/HPIB board (and its firmware) were further
refined and stream-lined. A few additional programming commands were added.

Bottom line: If you have a fully updated "A", your unit is just about every
bit as good as the "B" version. Otherwise your "A" version might be less
reliable, with some intermittent digital resets to the turn-on state, and
have intermittent output levels (if you still have the old attenuator board
with the big yellow relays).

Greg