[time-nuts] GPS Timing in Interference Environment

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Tue Jul 25 09:28:38 UTC 2006

From: Phaysal Khan <mortal_f at yahoo.com>
Subject: [time-nuts] GPS Timing in Interference Environment
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:33:14 -0700 (PDT)

> Hi,

Faisal,

>   I am new in this group, and wanted to discuss something abt GPS timing. I am working on GPS system & signals from timing point of view. I want to see Effects of Interference(CW) on GPS timing receivers. At this stage I am mainly interested on what will happen to the timing receiver itself when effected by CW interference and the next stage will be to find out how this effect could be mitigated.
>
> What I intend to do now, is to compare the 1 PPS pulse from two different rcvrs ( I will be using Motorola M12+ Oncore as the subject rcvr and Leica CRS1000 as the reference.
>
> Do you ppl have any suggestions?

The main thing being affected is the C/N factor, which has a resulting
consequences on TDOP. There are several mechanisms and they also depends on the
receiver details. I would monitor the received strength while also record the
PPS output.

I assume you have read up on the publically available material on this.

There are numerous stories from the real world where the GPS steered timing
fails due to interference or unintentional damping of signal.

Constant logging of signal strengths and evaluation of these are a simple and
straightforward method of detecting a case of interference. It does not really
mitagate it, but many times not pulling the plug is worse than being hooked in.
This is by far not enought thought.

Cheers,
Magnus