[time-nuts] 10811 Extra Lagging etc

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Jun 21 15:46:29 UTC 2006

The 5071 cesium has no measurable environmental sensitivity to
temperature, pressure, or humidity, down to a measurement threshold
of 1 part in 10^15.

The 5061 cesium had various environmental sensitivies due to the
harmonic generator.  This generator was far more efficient than
any other I have studied (and I spent too much time working on
SRD frequency multipliers).  It was designed by a Korean professor
and no one at HP really understood the magic in it.  Being so
highly optimized, it was fairly temperamental.  Also, the joints
leaked RF due to silver tarnishing, etc.  Thus RF leaking out then
back in could be affected by the environment or removing the top
cover.  The 5061 had a frequency coefficient of microwave power that
doesn't exist in the 5071.  It wouldn't surprise me if humidity
affected the 5061, although I don't have any direct evidence of it.

Rick Karlquist N6RK