[time-nuts] Time Interval measure mesurements

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Mon Jun 26 21:59:22 UTC 2006

From: "Bruce Lanning" <blanning at acadia.net>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Time Interval measure mesurements
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:11:18 -0400

> Hi John, Thanks for the prompt reply. I am Measuring the 10 MHz with the
> counter set at .1usec. The display says us. I just turned the setup on again
> and now I get gust the count every time the time base opens. It reads
> between .0 and .4. I trust this helps you John. Give me your phone # and a
> good time to call and I will call you.

The problem is that you will be ambigous on which 10 MHz cycle you refer to.
Dividing down to 1 Hz (PPS) is easier to handle in forms of ambigousity.

I don't think the HP5245/HP5262 combination is a good choice for direct 10 MHz
comparision but for other counters you may do direct comparision.

Naturally, you can use your counter for direct frequency comparision (with the
Z3801A as external time base) but interval comparision is better for more
finegrained comparision.

A series of TTL /10 gates would make you happy. 7 infact.

Cheers,
Magnus