[time-nuts] Some results of PRS10 and Trimble Resolution

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Tue Jun 27 23:51:31 UTC 2006

>> http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/m12/sawtooth.htm
>
> Tom
> In the series of sawtooth displays are these all the
> same M12 and if so how did it happen that you have
> this result in a short time?
> Thanks.
> Fred

Yes, it's the same M12; other M12's are similar. VP's
have the same thing but the peak-to-peak is larger.

This is all normal and the sawtooth does not indicate
anything is wrong. In fact, you can make a good case
that the noise of a 1 PPS sawtooth is a good thing in
many cases; as we found with Tom Clark's original TAC,
it permits simple time interval averaging to give a more
precise result in spite of the 1 PPS quantization.

Not sure what you mean by a short time. The web page
dates back to Nov 2004, I think. But the sawtooth in this
and other receivers show up in a matter of seconds so
it's not like you have to take a lot of data over a long time
to see it (note that most of the plots on that page cover
only 2 minutes of elapsed time).

/tvb