[time-nuts] Some results of PRS10 and Trimble Resolution

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Wed Jun 28 23:11:15 UTC 2006

From: SAIDJACK at aol.com
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Some results of PRS10 and Trimble Resolution
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:39:44 EDT

> Hi Magnus,

Said,

> would you have a schematic of an interpolator with say <5ns resolution  to
> share?

Go and look up the HP5335A operating and service manual on Agilents site (I
have it in original hardprint BTW). There are a few pages in it which quite
nicely explain how it works in theory and all. You want to check the pages
8-29 to 8-31, 8-73 to 8-76 and the schematic on page 8-111.

The HP5335A has a 1 ns of resolution according to the specs, so I think it
matches your question.

I also have an HP5335A on the lab-bench. It take some effort to have it under
GPIB-control thought, so I can't do any massive tests at this time, otherwise
I'm sure I could do some if needed.

The HP5335A dates back to 1980 and was certainly not their highest profile
counter, but a good and then modern all-around counter for normal laboratory
use. The input triggering is however a bit strange. You can crank it up into
12 digit measures and the gate time pot is among the things which still makes
it somewhat of a favorite over some modern counters (HP53131 for instance).

Hope it helps and that you find the information you needed.

Cheers,
Magnus