[time-nuts] Some results of PRS10 and Trimble Resolution

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Fri Jun 30 18:49:00 UTC 2006

Hi Björn:

I don't think that's that case.  I live in a small town and hired a
local surveyor chosen because he's the guy that uses GPS.
He was able to use two GPS receivers separated by say 100 feet and
connected with a cable to determine an accurate relative bearing between
his total station and the remote GPS.  I had placed wood stakes at a few
locations that were very close to Longitude and Latitude points ending
exactly on the seconds, for example 123:09:50.0W by 39:11:24.0N.  The
idea was for him to locate the exact points and to locate the house GPS
antenna.  To do this he needed to go back to his office and post process
the data.

Since the points I wanted to know about were separated by exactly 1
second of Lat and 1 second of Lon he just placed his total station a few
feet from the corner one and shot the other stakes.

It's my understanding the the military has the crypto key needed to use
the L2 channel to full effect and that's not available to surveyors.
What surveyors do is record the carrier phase of both the L1 and L2
signals and resolve the ambiguity in post processing.  There are a
couple of flavors of post processing.  In one only the data recorded in
the field is used, in the other the filed data is combined with actual
data taken at a nearby reference station from the satellites used in the
field data.  The second method corrects for errors in the ephemeris data
broadcast by the satellites.

I think what you may be referring to are the differential correction
methods, either Low Frequency or satellite broadcasts that improve the
position accuracy of GPS receivers.  But I don't think these can be used
to improve timing accuracy.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke

--