[time-nuts] GPS timing recievers and INTERFERENCE

Normand Martel martelno at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 03:03:24 UTC 2006

Just for example: My Trimble Lassen positioning
receiver  has a 1PPS output, but it's error is around
+/- 300ns from the true UTC time. On the other hand, a
high quality TIMING receiver, the Oncore M12+ (soon
discontinued, replaced by the M12M from Synergy GPS),
has an error of +/- 15ns!! A quality improvement of
20:1!!! That becomes important when you want to
discipline an Rb atomic clock to GPS.

Just as Tom Van Baak said, a timing receiver is
designed to be used in a FIXED position, such as a
cell site or a metrology lab. I never tried to use a
timing receiver in a vehicle, but (what i think) it
will probably lose sync with the satellites once in
motion. On te other side, a positioning receiver will
keep synchronized, whatever it's in motion or kept
immobilized. but it's 1PPS signal (it it has one...)
will be somewhat less accurate.

Hope it will help you!

Normand Martel VE2UM
Montreal, Qc. Canada