[time-nuts] ICS525 Battery Top Singnal Generator - Frequency Synthesizer-Translator, Test Transmitter, (Crystal Replacement?)

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri May 5 15:49:14 UTC 2006

Hi Brooke,

Awhile back I was looking into SMD rework stations, and I looked pretty
carefully at the Quakko stuff.

I didn't like the 850D because it was not servo controlled for temperature,
and the air flow adjustment was a blind guess.  So I bought the Aoyue 2738 directly
from the factory.  I liked it so much that I now sell the units.  The 2738 is
designed to provide the extra power needed to handle lead-free solder, and as
a result, it has a 70w digitally temperature controlled fume free soldering iron
as part of the station.  The soldering iron takes around 5 seconds to come up
to full heat, so there is no need to leave it running all the time.

The hot air rework section is digitally servo controlled for temperature, and
digitally controlled (non servo) for the air supply.  To make it possible to
do repeatable work, there is a floating ball air flow meter on the front panel.
The air flow meter allows you to take into account variables such as the different
restrictions caused by the different hot air nozzles.

Best work with a rework station is done using an underboard preheater.  The
preheater takes the board up to 100C, or so, which all SMD parts can handle.

-Chuck Harris

While my stocks last, I can make the Aoyue 2738 available to this group for
$235 plus shipping.  That includes the rework station, 6 nozzles, a vacuum
tweezer, a chip lifter (popper), a silicone pad, a soldering iron holder,
and a fume extractor for the soldering iron.  Visa and MC accepted.