[time-nuts] HP 8642a Fan Fixed

Doug Millar dougnhelen at moonlink.net
Sat Nov 4 02:57:57 UTC 2006

         My saga about the dead fan in the 8642a sig gen.
         I am stunned. I did a little more checking and observation
of the area around the fan.. The fan had quit and is buried in
between power supplies and looks impossible to dig out. Glad I
didn't. On the back there is a cover that goes over an alignment
board accessory. I took that off and found another screwed on panel
that connects to  basically an assembly that slides out with the fan
on it! There was even a plug on the end of the DC wire. I was stunned
that the HP engineers had thought, "what happens if the fan goes
out?" and provided an easy way to replace it. Took the fan down to
the local parts place, plunked down $12 and came home happy. Fan is
in and humming away. Signal generator is back on line with a new
lease on life and its owner with a new respect for HP engineering. I
have never seen a slide out drawer for the fan in another piece of
test gear. ever.
          BTW the FOUR volume schematic repair manual set goes for
about $400. That would have been an expensive fan!
         There concludes the tale.
                 Doug Millar
                 Should we be considered "certified" time nuts? or
just "certifiable"?