Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Sun Nov 5 15:20:03 UTC 2006

From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] time-nuts Digest, Vol 28, Issue 5
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 15:05:35 +0000

> In message <454DF83C.1000300 at cox.net>, Didier Juges writes:
>
> >Anyway, how do you compute the Allan Deviation of a sun dial?
>
> You convert phase readings to frequency segments and proceed as
> usual ?

If you have the phase readings you just process as usual. You might however
have a look at the IERS data and calculate from that. Interestingly enought
there are several non-noise sources to start with and I expect alot of the
errors will be due to them once you have sufficient resolution in the readout
of the sundial itself. Infact, one should be able to calculate the readout
resolution which would be meaningfull. You naturally needs a better source to
know when to take your readings.

Cheers,
Magnus