[time-nuts] philosophical question

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Sun Nov 5 20:55:03 UTC 2006

Mark,

Good question. Here are the rules:

1) If all you have is one clock - then that is the true
time, period.

2) If you have two clocks and they always agree, then
that just means you need better measuring tools.

3) If you have two clocks and a good comparator, then
at least you can tell how much they differ, even if you
can't tell which of the two is the better clock.

4) So if you have three clocks and comparators then
not only can you tell how they differ amongst themselves,
but if one is worse than the others, it will be evident.

5) And in the event that two or more clocks appear to
be equally good, then the average of those clocks will
be better than any one.

Make sense?

Follow this thought process and then you realize why
UTC is based on an average of atomic clocks at some
50 labs around the world.

/tvb
http://www.LeapSecond.com

> Time nuts,
>
> Being a recent addition to the list, I'm going to use my one dumb
question* card on an epistemological