[time-nuts] Frequency processing scheme of HP5065 vapour rubidium standard

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Nov 6 16:11:56 UTC 2006

Ulrich Bangert wrote:

> Agreed! But you are talking about things that happen INSIDE the physics
> package, don't you? Ok, let us assume that there WERE big differences in
> the physics packages that need to be compensated for. In THIS case the
> tunable synthesizer would indeed make sense and even more the printed
> synthesizer settings on the physics packages! If this were the only
> information available, i would immediatly agree to you!

Ulrich, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that back in the ancient
days, before leap seconds, UTC was "corrected" by applying a frequency
offset that changed annually.  IIRC, it was typically something like
300x10e-10.

I think the main use of the adjustable synthesizer was to allow you to
dial in that offset.

I believe that in later versions of the 5065A, the thumbwheel setting
was removed because after leap seconds came along the need to adjust the
frequency annually went away.  My 5065A is a very late one and I don't
think it has those thumbwheels (but I'm not going to take it out of the
rack to find out...).

John