[time-nuts] Frequency processing scheme of HP5065 vapour rubidium standard

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Nov 7 21:31:08 UTC 2006

Magnus Danielson wrote:
> What I have been thinking about is the possibility to electrically detune
> the
> microwave cavity to introduce the necessary phase shift control. The key
> issue
> with that would probably be how to detect the zero-phase shift in a
> separate
> loop not involving external comparision. I haven't looked into the issue
> in
> detail thought, it's not my field really.

That paradigm assumes some auxiliary phase detector with better
symmetry that the CBT cavity.  The CBT cavity is as symmetrical
as anything else that could be made, so this doesn't seem to make
sense.  I can also tell you (having investigated this sort of thing)
that adding varactors to the cavity to tune it is a huge can of
worms that you want to avoid if at all possible.

> solved/improved with the 5071 generation clocks. Maybe you could elaborate
> or
> even point to some suitable document.

For other info on the 5071 design process, see our papers from
1992 FCS.

Rick Karlquist