[time-nuts] HP 10811A/B OCXO OP/SRV manual is onlineathparchive.com AND HP 5501B manual.

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Nov 8 08:10:55 UTC 2006

Jack Hudler wrote:
> Hmm. I think I have all the parts for this. Except the programmable polarizer.

Ordinary fibres don't tend to preserve the polarisation state of the light.
This may or may not be an advantage.

The easiest way around this is to select the (with a piece of polaroid)
required beam polarisations (and hence frequencies) before coupling into
a fibre, then you don't need any polarisation controller and there is
some advantage in using a non polarisation preserving fibre.

Its probably much easier to do the experiment with free space beams.
The alignment requirement of less than 1 arc minute or so is very easy
to accomplish with a couple of mirrors in suitable kinematic mounts.

It is not necessary to use expensive polarising beamsplitters unless you
happen to have some.
However they may be very convenient.
If necessary adequate suppression of the unwanted polarisation can be
achieved with a piece of polaroid.

Either a a non polarising beamsplitter or a polarising beamsplitter can
be used to superimpose the 2 beams.

A programmable polariser is just a 1/2 wave plate between a pair of 1/4
wave plates all of which can be rotated about the beam passing through them.
Equivalent 1/2 and 1/4 wave plates can be constructed by winding
suitable lengths of fibre around a cylinder.

However using a polarisation controller to match the input beam
polarisation to an eigen polarisation state that is preserved by a fibre
is unecessarily complex.
Even non polarisation  preserving fibres will preserve a particular
polarisation state (usually elliptical) as it propagates in the fibre.
However the particular eigen polarisation is sensitive to the bending
and othere stress in the fibre.
Bruce