[time-nuts] FMT

Colin Bradley colinbradley10 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 21:37:33 UTC 2006

I received the following email from the station manager of W1AW.

Hi Colin,

I didn't want to answer your question too soon.

On the days prior to the FMT, I conduct measurements at 1 hour, 3 and 6 hours after initial warm-up.  (And of course, this time frame includes the normal broadcast schedule.)

From what I can see, the drift on the Orion and Pro IIs is minimal.  For example, from the 3 to 6 hour time period (today), the "40-meter" Orion drifted 0.12 Hz.  The "80-meter" Pro II drifted about 0.11 Hz and the "160-meter" Pro II drifted about 0.04 Hz.  (You have to understand that these three radios are here for evaluation only, and went through their respective Service Departments before we received them.)

And just now, I conducted a quick test to see what the "real short-term" drift would be (given the time frame of the FMT).  I didn't notice any significant difference.

I'm a little surprised at these numbers.  But I have to go on what my counter is telling me.  Oddly enough, when we used to run the Harris exciters (during past FMTs), it was not uncommon for me to see at least a 2-4 Hz difference in the 3 to 6 hour time period.

So we'll see...

Good luck!

73,

Joseph Carcia, NJ1Q
W1AW Station Manager

Interesting...I would not have thought these transceivers were that stable.
Colin