[time-nuts] Features of a Precision Clock?

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Sat Oct 7 18:34:29 UTC 2006

Dean,

Thank you so much for your detailed and authoritative
note about power utilities.

> I am not certain of the rules of operation, or of the way they tweak
> things (generator bias?), but could find out from friends and
> colleagues, if you wish.

If it wouldn't be too much to ask, yes, I think several
of us would be interested in how, and under what rules,
they tweak the frequency.

My look at 60 Hz here in the US suggests there are
short-term (on the order of hours and days) changes
for power flow as you desribed, but also long-term
forces that tend to maintain semi-accurate time in
spite of the short-term variations.

Surprisingly, here in Washington at least, a mains
clock is accurate to a few seconds a month, even
if on a day to day basis it varies up to 10 seconds.
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/mains/

/tvb