[time-nuts] 5 MHz Frequency Doubler

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Oct 26 08:17:37 UTC 2006

Robert Atkinson wrote:
> Hi,
> Have a look at,
> < http://www.wenzel.com/pdffiles/diodedbl.pdf >
> Also http://www.wenzel.com/documents/hints.htm indicates that the NIST
> design uses JFET's but I can't find any more details.
>
> Robert G8RPI.

The design is probably a pair of low noise n channel JFETs configured as
a push push doubler.
Inputs driven in antiphase so that each FET conducts ffor opposite 1/2
cycles with the 2 FET drains connected in parallel.
A bypassed trimpot connected between the FET sources being used to
compensate for FET mismatch.
The low frequency design probably uses a common source design whilst the
VHF version employs a pair of common gate devices.
An RF transformer connected between the the common drain and the
positive is used to drive the load.

Bruce