[time-nuts] Newly-available app notes (was RE: 5 MHz Frequency Doubler)

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Thu Oct 26 15:38:18 UTC 2006

Looking at the block diagram, it seems that there is an active
noise-cancellation mechanism in place, not just the usual couple of diodes
and a transformer.  Whatever it is, it takes 30 mA at 15 VDC...

Along those lines I recently scanned/OCRed a few app notes by Dieter Scherer
and Ron Pratt of HP.  These were not previously available to the public,
having been issued as seminar handouts.  One of them, "Generation of Low
Phase Noise Microwave Signals," talks a little about noise in diode
multipliers, although being from 1981 it doesn't get into whatever Wenzel is
doing with the active stage.  These will eventually be on the HP Archive
site but for now, I've posted them here:

http://www.ke5fx.com/notes.zip (4 MB)

They include "Characteristics and Applications of Diode Detectors" by Ron
Pratt and three by Dieter Scherer, "The Art of Phase Noise Measurement",
"Design Principles and Test Methods for Low PN RF and Microwave Sources,"
and "Generation of Low Phase Noise Microwave Signals."

The second note by Scherer is a good introduction to Allan variance stuff,
and it probably served as a primary source for Rohde's pages on divider
noise.  Good stuff.

-- john, KE5FX