[time-nuts] 5 MHz Frequency Doubler

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Thu Oct 26 20:29:03 UTC 2006

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:13:55 -0700, "Christopher Hoover"
<ch at murgatroid.com> wrote:

>Hey 'nuts,
>
>I'm looking for a good design for a 5 MHz frequency doubler.
>
>The Wenzel Blue Tops HF doubler is said to be  based on a low phase
>noise, public-domain NIST design:
>

> <http://www.bluetops.com/Modules/lnhd.htm>
>http://www.bluetops.com/Modules/lnhd.htm
>
>The LNHD is a fixed-frequency HF doubler based on a public-domain design
>developed by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST
><http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/> ) for superlative phase noise
>performance.
>

>Can anyone point me at a this design?  I haven't had any luck finding it
>on the web.
>
>I'm open to suggestions on other doubler designs, as well.
>
>-ch

Not a specific answer to the question, but I've been planning to try the
"Simple 2-diode doubler" in this article...
http://www.wenzel.com/pdffiles/diodedbl.pdf

What say the experts? How does it stack up to the JFET design being
discussed? Also, I'm visually oriented; finding it hard to follow the
JFET discussion. Any pointer to a schematic of an implementation?