[time-nuts] 5 MHz Frequency Doubler (Dr Bruce Griffiths)

Christopher Hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Fri Oct 27 06:49:04 UTC 2006

Dr Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> The design is probably a pair of low noise n channel JFETs
> configured as a push push doubler.
> Inputs driven in antiphase so that each FET conducts ffor
> opposite 1/2 cycles with the 2 FET drains connected in parallel.
> A bypassed trimpot connected between the FET sources being
> used to compensate for FET mismatch.
> The low frequency design probably uses a common source design
> whilst the VHF version employs a pair of common gate devices.
> An RF transformer connected between the the common drain and
> the positive is used to drive the load.

OK, so I feed the input (of suitable gain) to a trifilar (or bifilar
with tap) wound toroid to get the phase and antiphase.

And the rest is just a pair of standard JFET RF amplifiers.  I.e., I
should use standard JFET RF amplifier biasing techniques, either employ
a long tail or, alternatively, measure the pinch-offs and Idss's and
pick my source resistors appropriately.

If I'm getting all this right, the circuit looks something like the
attached.  Yes?

Thanks for the input.

-ch