[time-nuts] Can anyone help?

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Sat Oct 28 21:48:44 UTC 2006

My DSL-modem will buffer several hundreds of milliseconds while doing
heavy down/up-loading. Hence do NOT fill any of the pipes between you and
the ntp server. Even though you probably "control" only one hop and the
later routers are probably not buffering as much as my DSL-modem.

Here is a start for getting "local" ntp-servers.

      http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/za

As for performance a stratum-2 server I run is right now showing offsets
between 3us and 38us for four servers, with a poll interval of 64 seconds
and distances between 0.3ms and 15.5ms. This is probably not
representative, but shows that very good performance can be seen in
favorable conditions.

Local servers can sometimes be found even though not advertized. But as
with "open" WiFi-nets -- do not abuse! 'ntpq -c pe hostname.yourisp.za'
can be used to probe various hosts. Gateways, routers, and other servers
at the ISP is probably syncing time. They might be enough opened for you
to check what servers they are using. Using routers as a server is
probably a bad idea...

Happy timing!

--

   Björn