[time-nuts] GPS dropouts and crystals

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Sat Sep 9 19:35:53 UTC 2006

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:20:14 -0700, "Randy Warner"
<Randy at synergy-gps.com> wrote:

>John,
>
>I would tend to believe the problem you are having is more receiver
>related. If your entire satellite display is going red it means you are
>losing all the SV's at once. While it's true that there are some pretty
>big holes in the system right now, you shouldn't just lose everything at
>once.
>
>The problem could be anything from a bad antenna to a receiver problem.
>Working with GPS receivers for the last 10 years I have seen many cases
>of the receiver just dumping everything. It usually comes down to an
>antenna connection problem or a crystal/TCXO problem in the receiver.

Thanks for the info.  I kinda thought this might be in the receiver
but since the subject of GPS outage came up I thought I'd ask.  This
unit is one of those little dongle units that is powered by the USB
bus and uses the SiRF chip set.  I have noticed more stationary
scatter than with my better receivers so I've suspected the crystal
clock from the beginning.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain