[time-nuts] Ultra low phase noise floor measurement system for RF devices.

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Apr 1 00:24:39 UTC 2007

SAIDJACK at aol.com wrote:
> Hi Magnus,
>

> BTW: here in the US they also like to measure things in fractions, and body
> part lengths for some unexplainable reason... Reasons I do hear are that SI
> is too "difficult" for the average Joe to comprehend, and replacing road signs
> costs too much.
>
> Gotta get my 5/32 Fluid Ounce, 3-7/16 Inch Latte now :)

Said

Since the average person in the rest of the world copes with the metric
system without any difficulty, the first reason would appear to be based
on a tacit assumption that average US citizen is less intelligent/less
well educated than the average citizen of every other country. This
seems a somewhat arrogant/paternalistic assumption unless the US in
someway selects for low IQ and/or the US education system is
significantly less effective than the educaton systems of every other
country.

The second reason is somewhat spurious, other countries have converted
from the imperial to the metric system without major difficulty or
expense. It wasn't even necessary to change all road signs overnight.

Bruce