[time-nuts] Ultra low phase noise floor measurement system for RF devices.

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Apr 1 01:49:03 UTC 2007

Magnus Danielson wrote:

> I'm considering putting that new and shiny audio analyzer to some alternative
> use that I bought at work. Preferences towards BNC, XLR or Banana-jacks anyone?
> :)
>
> I was just looking at the 3048 manuals the other night. Bumped into a new site
> with HP manuals I haven't seen before.
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus

Magnus

Balanced low frequency signal transmission with shielded cables is
easier with XLR connectors, provided one uses 1 connector per channel.

Enrico's paper on the use of counters to measure frequency stability

http://www.femto-st.fr/~rubiola/journal-articles/rubiola2005rsi-hi-res-freq-counters.pdf
<http://www.femto-st.fr/%7Erubiola/journal-articles/rubiola2005rsi-hi-res-freq-counters.pdf>

Shows why the SR620 is preferable to the Agilent 53332A/53331A and  the
Pendulum counters for this application.
Using the HP5370A/B or other time interval counters in the picket fence
mode is also OK.

The cost of the SR620 highlights the need for a relatively inexpensive
reasonably high resolution timer counter or time stamp device for such
applications.

Bruce