[time-nuts] Ultra low phase noise floor measurement system forRF devices.

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sun Apr 1 15:30:41 UTC 2007

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <460FC34F.8070009 at erols.com>, Chuck Harris writes:
>
>> It is no more, or less, arbitrary than the calorie, but it is a whole lot less
>> wierd than a calorie/hour, or a kilometer/hour for that matter.
>
> You're right, BTU/h is just as arbitrary as the calorie, which is why
> the correct SI unit for energy is Joule, which the same as Watt*seconds.

We can play that game Poul-Henning, by using joules, one thing becomes easy,
and another becomes hard, but in the end, you always have to return to remembering
arbitrary constants.

How many joules does it take to heat up one gram of water 1C ?
With calories it is easy: 1 calorie.

How many joules does it take to heat up one pound of water 1F ?
With BTU it is easy: 1 BTU.

Metric vs. English has nothing to do with making things easier, but
rather has everything to do with which arbitrary constants you prefer.

-Chuck Harris