[time-nuts] Ultra_low_phase_noise_floor_measurement_system forRF_devices.

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Sun Apr 1 18:33:50 UTC 2007

From: Bob Paddock <bob.paddock at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Ultra_low_phase_noise_floor_measurement_system forRF_devices.
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:04:52 -0400

> On Sunday 01 April 2007 11:30, Chuck Harris wrote:
>
> > Metric vs. English has nothing to do with making things easier, but
> > rather has everything to do with which arbitrary constants you prefer.
>
> Here is a question that has nagged me for years, but first
> the background:
>
> When I was in school getting my degree, I had a Physics
> teacher that gave all of  his lectures in the Metric System.
> The book covered nothing but the Metric System.
> All of the tests he gave where in the *English* system!
> Conversions where never mentioned, *anyplace*.
> Everyone failed the first test.
> [This kind of #)$*#$* in schools,
>  is the kind of thing that makes be believe
>  in Home Schooling.]
>
> The one good thing to come out of that (?), is everyone in class learned
> to  paying attention to the 'Units'.
>
> In the English System the unit of Weight is the Pound.
> The unit of Mass is the Slug.
> In the Metric System the unit of Weight is the Newton.
> The unit of Mass is the (Kilo)Gram.
>
> So why does this box of cereal (first thing at hand with label)
> say "10 Oz (284g)".  All of these dual unit labels
> are comparing weight vs mass.  Why?

Because there is still 4 states (as in USA) which does not allow metric only
labeling, however work is ongoing. The 2009 cut off in EC is actually pushing
things and many US food manufacteurs is actually pushing for metric only
labeling. FDA is active in the area.

As for your real question: It is tradition really.

> I'm sure virtually all Americans think the Gram is a
> unit of weight.

Unfortunatly this fine point is being missed by many.

Cheers,
Magnus