[time-nuts] Ultra low phase noise floor measurement system forRF devices.

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Sun Apr 1 18:53:03 UTC 2007

From: Chuck Harris <cfharris at erols.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Ultra low phase noise floor measurement system forRF devices.
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 14:14:02 -0400

> Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > In message <460FD021.9000401 at erols.com>, Chuck Harris writes:
> >
> >> We can play that game Poul-Henning, by using joules, one thing becomes easy,
> >> and another becomes hard, but in the end, you always have to return to remembering
> >> arbitrary constants.
> >
> > That's likely to be a matter of fact for any universe :-)
> >
> >> How many joules does it take to heat up one gram of water 1C ?
> >> With calories it is easy: 1 calorie.
> >
> > Right, so it's easy for water, but what about gasoline ?
>
> Somehow, someway, it all comes down to the same thing.  Celsius
> was designed around the freezing and boiling points of water.  One
> should expect that other things like calories, which are also defined
> around water, should be easier.... gasoline will require you to know
> a constant.

But Anders Celsius got it a bit wrong in 1741 there in the beginning, putting
0 degrees to the boiling point and 100 degrees to the melting point of ice.
Fortunatly that misstake was corrected sometime after his death in 1744. :)
Some rumours say it was actually Linné (another Uppsala gigant) that corrected
it, but it cannot be prooven.

> > I far prefer to be able to convert effortlessly between units, than to
> > embedd arbitrary material properties in my measurement units.
>
> It would have been just as easy to achieve this simplicity with a metric
> system based on pounds, inches and seconds... It wouldn't have been French,
> but it would have been just as easy.

We would be running of the royal french inch, some 27,07 mm. :)

Cheers,
Magnus