[time-nuts] Standards for units

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Wed Apr 4 03:57:30 UTC 2007

Hi Brooke,

Metric screws are spec'd by major diameter, and the number of mm between
the peaks of the threads.  English are spec'd by diameter, and the
number of threads per inch.

A 40TPI screw corresponds to a (1/40) * 25.4 = 0.635 mm pitch.  There
are standard metric pitches of 0.4, 0.45, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, and 1.0 mm.

What you are seeing is probably an M3-0.5, M3-0.6, or an M4-0.7 screw.

-Chuck Harris