[time-nuts] Solar Bursts May Threaten GPS

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Thu Apr 5 08:42:01 UTC 2007

From: bg at lysator.liu.se
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Solar Bursts May Threaten GPS
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 05:43:13 +0200 (CEST)

> Magnus,

Hej Björn,

> Where did the affair with the Swedish paging system GPS sync problems end?

They replaced all their GPS receivers, that failed over a span of 24 hours.

> Any concequences for the (then uneducated) operator?

I need to be updated on that. I fear the last page is not written on that
affair.

Sadly enought they don't seem too keen to test one of their old GPS receivers
with the GPS simulator. I think the whole thing was setup the wrong way. It
wheren't in their best interest to do that part of the aftermath, so they where
not too keen to pay that simulation time while their economy got strained by
the unexpected need to buy new GPS receivers and install those (a nation wide
effort). I think we need to have another approach than that to get the
simulations we want. There are a few other things that went wrong that we take
between four eyes Björn.

Cheers,
Magnus