[time-nuts] GPS: ADEV or MDEV?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Apr 11 06:12:24 UTC 2007

> Surely it would be much simpler (in principle at least) to just to add
>  sufficient Gaussian phase noise to the GPS receiver clock so that
> potential coherence problems are virtually eliminated.

It doesn't look reasonable to me, but I'm not good at this sort of math.

The clock is, say, 40 MHz.  That's 25 ns, so the output jitter will be 25 ns
p-p.

If you are at the top of a hanging bridge, you have to add enough noise to
hide a 12.5 ns offset.  Will a typical GPS receiver still work with that much
trash on its clock signal?  What sort of noise spectrum would you use?