[time-nuts] Setting Osc Frequencies

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Apr 11 06:34:11 UTC 2007

Hal Murray wrote:
>> And Hal- what about the pcb layout for Bruce's 74CX version? Had time
>> to look at it yet?
>>

> It fell through the cracks when I got interested in something else.
>
> Is anybody really interested in that board?  If so, please send me a
> reminder about the schematic.
>
> There have been lots of ideas kicked around recently.  Is that still the
> right/best thing to build?
>

> I've used PCB Express, http://www.pcbexpress.com/
>
> $125 for 10 boards, 2 layers, no solder mask, up to 9 sq inches
> $265 for solder mask and top silk screen.
> add $45 for silk on the bottom side
>
> Round up for shipping and taxes and whatever.

Hal

For a simple no frills linear phase detector using an AD9901 (available
from Digikey in the 44pin PLCC package)in the ECL mode is a better bet.
It only requires a couple of slow linear amplifiers to scale the output.
No comparators are necessary for the inputs.
Just a few diodes capacitors and resistors are required to terminate the
input cables and protect the differential clock inputs.

If you want more bells and whistles such as programmable input dividers
etc a CPLD implementation is better.

Bruce