[time-nuts] Prologix GPIB/USB converter help...

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Apr 15 16:30:41 UTC 2007

Christopher Hoover said the following on 04/15/2007 12:17 PM:
>> I just got one and am trying to get it running under Linux.  I have the
>> low-level configuration right (I think) and the device is recognized and
>> I can talk to it, after a fashion, on the /dev/ttyUSB0 port.
>
> Hmmm ... it just works for me under Linux (Debian/Ubuntu), at least when it
> is in the mood to talk.  (It is sometimes a bit fussy at first, but once it
> gets going, it stays that way.)
>
> My Prologix is quite old, so it may well have different firmware than yours.
>
> (I use a lot of serial-usb dongles in my lab; they all work well with
> Linux.)
>
> Did you/can you verify your dongle works on a Windoze machine?  It is
> probably a good idea to rule out a hardware problem.

I've gotten it to work, at least for a couple of tests.  If I use the
gtkterm GUI terminal program, after a bit of fussing with the line
termination it works.  And, Hal Murray's sample probe.c program works
fine.  But minicom and picocom, and my Perl script, don't.

I think the problem is most likely with the requirement for putting a
linefeed at the end of each transmission.  I *think* I'm doing that, but
there's something there that's not working properly.

John