[time-nuts] Prologix GPIB/USB converter help...

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Wed Apr 18 02:40:47 UTC 2007

I struck gold, I got two brand new units in original packaging with
manuals and cables for $90 on eBay a year ago or so... The seller had 2
in a Dutch auction for $90 each, and I was going to buy one but I missed
the deadline and the units did not sell... As I was writing him an email
to ask if he was still willing to sell one unit at that price, I saw he
had reposted them at $90 for 2, BIN. I jumped on it.

Actually, my favorite is the Black Box Serial-488 Controller (it was
designed by IOTech, who sells essentially the same unit as the
Serial488A). It's a monster compared to the IOTech Micro488/P, but the
separate power supply eliminates the requirement for modem control lines
and I can use a simple 3 wire cable, and the unit don't care how many
unpowered devices there are on the bus. Since I have a dozen or so
instruments daisy chained at all times, it's a little more convenient. I
replaced the 3 terminal 5V linear regulator inside with a small
switcher, so it runs cool from a standard wall wart instead of a 1A supply.

My logging software can handle either controller though, so with my
setup, it does not really matter which one I use.

The Micro488/P is neat though, I must admit.

Didier KO4BB