[time-nuts] Most accurate clock on your wrist

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Thu Apr 19 18:18:17 UTC 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:58:06 -0700, David Forbes
<dforbes at dakotacom.net> wrote:

>The Casio watch is rechargeable, since the GPS function drains the
>battery in two hours. Amusingly, it takes three hours to charge it, so
>the GPS drain current is higher than the charger's output!
>
>Recharging a wristwatch is not my idea of a good time. It needs to be
>very easy to do. A USB-powered charger may be ideal.

Mine neither.  Maybe someone will use inductive charging or solar
power like my G-shock WWVB watch.  That one just has solar cell around
the edges since it's opaque brown.  I read somewhere of the
development of an organic solar material that is semi-transparent.
Perhaps they could coat the whole crystal with the stuff.

>I expect a practical GPS wrist-mounted timepiece would use the GPS only
>every couple of days to resync, giving time accurate to perhaps a few
>tenths of a second. You could always request a resync if you needed to
>know precisely what time it was.

Yep, much more reasonable.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
All great things are simple and many can be expressed in single words:
Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope.  -Churchill