[time-nuts] "Antelope Audio Launches The Isochrone 10M Affordable Atomic ...

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Fri Apr 20 00:37:50 UTC 2007

In a message dated 4/19/2007 09:36:35 Pacific Daylight Time,
dforbes at dakotacom.net writes:

However, if you want the best for your mastering studio, a $100  ebay
surplus ovenized crystal will get you to .00001% accuracy easily,
with lower jitter than a phase-locked rubidium  oscillator.

Hi guys,

I love the fact that they send the 10MHz through SPDIF, which we all know
has huge jitter in it's optical incarnation :)

BTW: after looking at some of the more recent Audio CD's output on a scope,
and seeing that the Audio is clipped visibly on most CD's nowadays, I wrote a
program to check for clipping in WAV files. One would be surprised how bad
the  recording industry is mastering music these days, and how much they rely on
good  reconstruction filters to get rid of the clipping distortions.

One way to tell this is listening to old CD's that were mastered correctly
(a good example is Eye In the Sky by Alan Parsons), and comparing just how loud
 they are recorded now compared to the 80's recordings.

I was told this is due to the fact that louder sounds better on  Radio.

So now our HiFi friends have 0.01ppb stability with 5% clipping destortion.
Nice.

bye,
Said