[time-nuts] OT: Audiophoolery

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Fri Apr 20 05:03:22 UTC 2007

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 02:21, Bruce Lane wrote:
>
>> 	Discussions involving audiphoolery, particularly where silly things like $500 knobs and "atomic" references for CD writing are involved, never fail to amuse me.
>>
>> 	With that in mind, and given the current thread about Antelope Audio, I feel compelled to point out a link which, I think, illustrates one of the peaks to which "audiophools" will go to satisfy their obsessions.
>>
>> 	http://www.monstercable.com/productDisplay.asp?pin=195
>>
>> 	I invite all to have a good chuckle over this one. ;-)
>>
>> Keep the peace(es).
>>

> Take a look at this "Aromatherapy and Audiophools" which appeared in
> Electronics World and Wireless World, October 1999. I thought it was so
> funny I scanned it and stuck it on my web site.
>

> http://www.g8wrb.org/useful-stuff/audiophools.pdf

I still remember the mercury filled speaker wires post - see also

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/hall/8701/Audio_BS.htm

and in case anybody still needs convincing

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/632/v/3/sp/332683698431330268420

"*Harmonic Technology Fantasy

*In our test system Fantasy proved to be an extremely charming cable, it
is extremely fine and smooth while being able to resolve detail with
ease. Acoustic space is well defined and instrument tone is pretty good
too."

Excuse me while I gag.  $900 for a par of 3m wires!

John