[time-nuts] OT: Audiophoolery

Jeroen Bastemeijer J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
Fri Apr 20 09:06:44 UTC 2007

.... I can't sleep either. I'm not allowed to, because I'm at work  ;-)

Funny thing those time-zones. Certainly in combination with groups (in
this case the time-nuts) which gather worldwide through the internet!

Regards, Jeroen

Bill Hawkins wrote:

>Well, stupid may not be the right word. It seems to be human nature
>to want to be part of a group that is somehow better than other groups.
>That actually had some evolutionary survival value at one time.
>
>Groups form all the time - religious, political, technical, even
>time-nuts. Some of the things they believe do not seem rational.
>Audiophiles are just another group, but the membership dues are
>kind of high.
>
>You can also see how the group has been manipulated by predators to
>increasing heights of expensive fantasies. There are parallels in
>religion and politics. Again, it's human nature. Surely, there's no
>one in this group that has bought an expensive instrument just to
>keep up with the group.
>
>I am not now and never have been an audiophile. It just bothers me
>when someone writes off complex human behavior with a single epithet.
>
>Bill Hawkins
>
>... who can't sleep and probably shouldn't have written this. It is
>not an attack on Mr. Kimberly, whose posts have been a fount of
>information.

Ing. Jeroen Bastemeijer

Delft University of Technology
Department of Electrical Engineering
Electronic Instrumentation Laboratory
Mekelweg 4, Room 13.090
2628 CD Delft
The Netherlands

Phone: +31.15.27.86542
Fax: +31.15.27.85755
E-mail: J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
GPS: Lat N52.00002 Lon E4.37157 Alt 46.2m