[time-nuts] Re; Audiophoolery

Rich and Marcia Putz rputz at bnin.net
Fri Apr 20 23:20:19 UTC 2007

Hi all,
Having worked for Crown International during the '70s,80s,and 90s, we received our share of audio weirdness including many who would have Crown enhance the design its products by using their particular ideas. Crown amps were/are still high end products that are still leaders in the field.  That being said, one of my favorites was when Crown switched from using gray color jacketed interconnect cables to black jacketed cables. Granted we did change from spiral wound shielding wires to foil wrap with a drain wire, but oh the complaints, how we degraded the sound, how we increased the IMD, the THD and on and on. Then there was the audio specialized capacitor madness, people would remove the caps Crown installed and put the style of their choosing to enhance the signal path. Keep in mind these are direct coupled amplifiers, so they were changing caps in the feedback loops and in the compensation networks, a dangerous neighborhood to be playing around! Some blew up their amps but Crown being compassionate in those days usually repaired it if the three year warranty period was in effect. I could go on and on, but this is a time-nuts forum not an audio-nuts forum.
Regards; Rich