[time-nuts] OT: Knifephoolery

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Sun Apr 22 05:09:22 UTC 2007

I love this list!  What we find to talk about.

Until about this time last year when I closed the last one, for 11
years I owned and operated a pair of BBQ & steak restaurants and a
catering service.  For much of that time I was the chief cook and
bottle washer :-)

Believe it or not I like to cook as a hobby too.  The catering service
which provided cuisines other than BBQ, let me try out my recipes,
usually some variation of Italian.

Some input on knives.  How to say this delicately...  There's a good
deal of knifephoolery out there and IMO, Henkel is part of it.  About
10% of the price is knife and the other 90% brand name.

When I first opened the restaurant a friend bought me a 10" Henkel
butcher (oops, chef's) knife as a gift.  I quickly began to loathe
that knife!  Far too heavy for serious work.  (when chopping 300 lbs
of Boston Butt BBQ, every ounce matters!) Hard to sharpen.  Much too
thick, requiring too much force to push through food.  And the health
department nazi had a cow over the wooden handle. (TN's health
department goes with whatever fad flies past and one of those about 10
years ago was banning food contact with wood.  Yep, no wood chopping
blocks.  The insanity quickly passed but they cost some folks a lot of
money.)

It only took me a little while to find out what is the most popular
style of knife among area cooks (and probably nationally).  Any of the
many brands of pedestrian high carbon stainless bladed, plastic
handled knives.  For example, these:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/37f9qg

These prices are about double what my wholesaler charged.  A 12"
butcher knife was about $15.  Thin metal to slide easily through food.
Flat ground which is preferred for food work.  Easily sharpened and
fairly good at holding an edge.  And when one is worn out (as mine
were about every year), no major tragedy to toss it in the garbage.

Sam's Club carries a good line of commercial knives, though they tend
to toss too many different ones into their huge packages.

Other than these knives, I have two others that I really like.  One is
a chinese style cleaver.  Much thinner blade than an American style.
Great for a variety of tasks other than heavy meat chopping.

The other is a Japanese Hibachi-style grill knife.  There's a fancy
name for this type of knife but I can't recall it.  This is a VERY
thin carbon steel blade with a fairly high handle offset to keep the
knuckles off the hot grill when slicing at a low angle.  Being very
thin and of carbon steel, it easily sharpens to a hair-shaving edge.
The edge isn't all that durable but it doesn't have to be for Hibachi
style cooking.

John