[time-nuts] retry: PRS10 has spurious frequencies

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sun Apr 22 21:47:15 UTC 2007

In a message dated 4/22/2007 12:55:08 Pacific Daylight Time,
henk at deriesp.demon.nl writes:

>John,

>The PRS10 has a phase noise spec of -130dBc at  10Hz distance. The
>only way for me to measure this is with a  Wavecrest 2075 and the
>PRS10 was not a expected. It was not  better than my R&S SMX. Trying
>to find out why I found the  spurious which also are seen by the
>Wavecrest. I will filter the  spurious out of coarse and re-measure
>but are at least surprised  to find this frequency spectrum.
>I know that there are more PRS10  owners with the time-nuts, I expect
>them to be phase-noise-nuts  as well.

Henk

Hi Henk,

great to hear that you got a Wavecrest DTS-2075!! That machine can  detect
spurs that phase noise measurements are oblivious too. Spurs cause nasty
deterministic jitter of course. That must have been the unit for sale on Ebay  for
$900?

Attached is a PRS-10 phase noise plot I measured here with a TSC-5120A  unit.
You can see pretty low spurs, but only a 100KHz measurement range. One  would
think to have a perfect oscillator until plugging in the PRS-10 into the
Wavecrest...

BTW: do you have Visi for windows by any chance?

I have two DTS units, one with about 2.7ps jitter on the  100MHz output
another with about 3ps. I wonder if replacing the  internal Vectron 100MHz OCXO
(which really is very low tech - I opened one  and it actually uses a CA3130 as
the oven controller :( ) would improve the  unit's performance??

thanks,
bye,
Said