[time-nuts] GPS: ADEV or MDEV?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Mon Apr 23 18:40:58 UTC 2007

Hi Tom:

Appendix H of Linear App Note 86 "A Standards Lab Grade 20-Bit DAC with
0.1ppm/C Drift" on pdf page 43 describes the 1,000 X amplifier they used and
the need for an out of production analog scope with to see sub 1 uV noise as
well as the need for a totally shielded measurement system.

In table H4 (pdf pag 45) they list the SR560 as a suitable amplifier that
includes the needed filtering.
http://www.thinksrs.com/products/SR560.htm

I don't have this stuff but was just reading the app note after the reference
here to the LTZ1000 DC reference.  It uses their 24 bit A/D converter and a PIC
with a couple of D/A converters to get the 20 bits.  It could be modified to
get more bits with less precision.

One of the things I've looked at is how do you generate the EFC control voltage
for a GPSDO.  Stock D/A converters when scaled for the full voltage range of
the oscillator will be way too coarse.  If you use a manual pot to allow them
to run where the LSB is a little smaller than the desired frequency step size
then you need to set the pot maybe every 6 months or so to follow the aging of
the crystal.

The FTS4060 combines two 16 bit D/A converters and only needs manual tweaks
about once a year.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com