Colin Bradley colinbradley10 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 01:45:05 UTC 2007

Message: 9
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:25:27 -0700
From: Brooke Clarke <brooke at pacific.net>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] GPS: ADEV or MDEV? (Tom Van Baak)
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
    <time-nuts at febo.com>

Hi Colin:

That's one sweet meter.  Years ago at work I used them and we had both flavors.
  One used the old definition of the volt and the other used the new volt.
Although our cal lab was not good enough to calibrate them we could feed them
signals and measure their readings.  They differed by the difference in the
definition.  Quite amazing.

They also can be used as a kind of sampling scope.  As I remember it the data
is arranged in a strange way.  There might be a driver available from Agilent
to do the scope thing.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com
http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/PRC68COM.shtml
http://www.precisionclock.com

I can do my own calibration on this instrument. It only requires two artifacts. A 10K ohm
standard and a 10 volt DC standard. I have a pair of Fluke SR104 10K resistors that
I have calibrated against a local QHE standard and a Datron 4910 quad 10 volt DC standard
that is calibrated against a Josephson junction array. The main reason I love this instrument is the
ease of calibration. Using the 3458A, I can accurately transfer most AC, DC and resistance values to any other instrument. I think all of the software is still available as the unit is still in production. I got
this unit from GL as part of an aircraft test set. I don't think the other bidders knew what was in
it's travel case.
Colin