[time-nuts] retry: PRS10 has spurious frequencies

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Wed Apr 25 18:38:19 UTC 2007

In a message dated 4/24/2007 15:14:11 Pacific Daylight Time,
brooke at pacific.net writes:

>>  It is unclear to me if the spurious is normal or not. The spurious of
>> my PRS10 is 60dB down the 10MHz so it is strange that you see  no
>> spurious.

Hi Henk,

try running your PRS10 from a Pb battery, with nothing else connected (no
RS232 etc).

The plot I sent you was from a PRS running from a switching power supply,
with RS-232 connected to some other stuff.

Also, try making the sine wave of the PRS10 into a nice, fast edge rate
square-wave with a Fairchild NC7SZ04 driver inverter for example. The Wavecrest
units don't work as well with sine waves as with square waves. On the SZ04, put
 a 10nF cap in series to the input, and a 1 MEG resistor from it's input pin
to  it's output pin. Feed the chip from a very low noise 5V power source.
Insert a  40-50 Ohm resistor into the output path going to the coax. Put an
attenuator/AC-coupler into the coax so the Wavecrest doesen't get  overloaded by
the 2.5Vpp DC signal. Result: low noise comparator/buffer :)

bye,
Said