[time-nuts] GPS Disciplined Oscillators

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Wed Apr 25 19:07:29 UTC 2007

Mike,

If you have three different oscillators that are locked to GPS,
then any difference seen when you read your clock once a day
will be caused by the short term noise. When you take the noise
difference counts as a percentage of counts in a day, the result
is a smaller number than if the oscillators were not locked to
GPS.

Some people on this list are worried down to the phase noise
level because they are correlating events that have been timed
by clocks whose only link is GPS or a portable secondary time
standard. Primary standards tend not to be portable, but quantum
physics could change that.

Locking means that there is only a phase difference between GPS
and the oscillator, not a frequency difference. For 10 MHz, that's
100 nanoseconds or (much) better while locked. Said another way,
if GPS lock is maintained for some length of time, the maximum
difference at the end of that length of time is 100 nanoseconds,
plus the drift of GPS, if any.

Ageing is compensated by a control servo while the frequencies are
locked. The full name for "lock" is "phase lock" which means that any
phase error is restored to nominal by the control servo. The servo is
constrained by a long time constant filter so that it won't dither
around zero error, trying to follow every noise spike and always
being too late.

Losing lock means that the control servo has saturated, and can
no longer move in the direction required to maintain lock. At that
point, there is no controlled relationship between GPS and the
oscillator. The performance of the oscillator is then the performance
with no GPS available.

You can measure ageing by measuring the output of the controller.

If the loss of lock was due to some hiccup, then lock could be restored
but the clock counter will be wrong by the number of counts added or
dropped while lock was lost.

Hope that helps.

Bill Hawkins