[time-nuts] OT: eBay bidding question

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Sat Apr 28 15:38:28 UTC 2007

A desperate person could place a high bid, then initiate a massive DDoS
attack on eBay's servers so nobody could bid. Hehe...

Seriously though, I wonder how much the eBay world would change if they
implemented anti-sniping measures like so many other auction sites. I could
just see a mob of fanatic bidders outside of eBay's corporate offices in the
middle of the night with pitchforks and torches ready to storm the castle.
eBay has stated though that "sniping is part of the auction experience", and
I guess as long as the sellers don't complain too much why should they
bother?

One thing I like is when someone ends an auction a little early and sells to
the current high-bidder (rare, but I've seen it). It just makes me feel all
warm and fuzzy inside knowing all those people that wanted to snipe at the
last second missed out.

For really hot items that I know there are going to be a ton of snipe bids,
I usually don't even bother with since I know it will go past my price
range. But they are always fun to watch and see how the bidding turned out.
Quite often you know there is some person swearing because they squeezed in
the last bid at the last second, but unfortunately were not the highest bid.
It's a double-edged sword.

Jason