[time-nuts] Timing on Ethernet

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Aug 6 06:37:53 UTC 2007

> One thing that comes to mind, though I may be missing something here.
> Ethernet is CDMA/CA; would you not loose phase lock during a collision
> because of a corrupted carrier?

Early (1970's) Ethernet was CSMA/CD on long chunks of coax with transceivers
at the coax connected to the hosts via a drop cable.  There was no carrier on
the coax between packets.

Modern Ethernet is mostly built with point-to-point links.  There aren't any
physical collisions.  The backpressure that the collision mechanism provides
is encoded on the link, either as packets or as some form of out of band
signaling.