[time-nuts] NTP Time Server Ping Timing Stability

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Aug 6 09:25:23 UTC 2007

> I'm in Califoria on the other side of the country from Atlanta, GA
> where the  big dish is located.

I'm also in California.  From here, it's 17 hops and ~85 ms to 148.78.243.30
which I think is close to the satellite uplink.  (I used traceroute.)

If you want to measure satellite delay/position from here, you have to get
both a clean run from here to the base station and also an empty queue when
you get there.

>From a bit of poking around, the first seems unlikely.  I've seen one
response at 85.226. but that's the only one under 86.

Satellite links are expensive, so I assume it will be hard to catch the
uplink queue empty.