[time-nuts] Prologix GPIB/USB ,RS232 or Ethernet converter

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sun Aug 12 12:19:48 UTC 2007

I have 4 of the GPIB-RS-232 variety, two micro488 from IOTech and two Serial
Controllers BlackBox (http://www.ko4bb.com/Test_Equipment/GPIB.html)

These are is still available from the vendors I believe, but at $600 or so
list, it's discouraging. I got mine on eBay of course.
While they are still being sold, the vendors provide no support other than
sell you a new one if you have a problem. Apparently, these were designed a
long time ago and the designers have long forgotten about those.

Since very little off-the-shelf software exist for those, the only
*advantage* of those over other units is precisely the RS-232 (only an
advantage if you do not have USB). If you are going to write your own
software, or use John Mile's software, you will be much better off with the
Prologix USB controller. I have one of those too and it works fine. Abdul is
aldo providing great support.

Didier KO4BB